Tuesday, August 07, 2007

How to torque off your fans and get richer than you are

I'm a big U2 fan, have been since the '80s. While there was a long stretch where I couldn't afford to expand my collection,  I eventually made up for it and have a rather nice collection.

Their most recent release is no less than their 3rd greatest hits album. Along with all the old songs are three new ones. Guess what? The only way to get those three songs is to buy the album. Fans like me already have all the old songs, we really don't want to buy them again. So there's ITunes, where you can buy single songs if you want. But guess what? The only way to get these new songs is to buy the whole album on ITunes!

Frigging ridiculous. Let's just keep re-releasing the same songs over and over and making a buck off the fans. Throw in a couple new ones and they'll have no choice except to buy it. GAH!

The good news is that the band is rumored to be angry enough at this latest make-a-buck move by their record label to jump ship. (Unconfirmed, Google it if you like - I hope it's true.) If not, then I will lose respect for the band. For a group that professes such a deep commitment to world-changing causes, lining their own pockets which are already pretty nicely lined would just be hypocritical.