Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Head Shave

Note from the author: If you love these pictures, you'll LOVE THIS VIDEO!


So I decided it was time to do away with my long hair. I loved my long hair. I wanted to keep growing it forever and be totally a long haired hippie looking kind of guy.

But, my health being what it is and my general constitution slowly growing weaker and weaker, I started having really bad neck pain. Could it be the weight of the hair? Maybe. But either way, it was rapidly becoming more and more difficult for me to manage.

So I shaved it. Every bit of it. Yes, I could have just cut it, but I figured if I couldn't look hairy, I'd go the opposite extreme. Why? No reason, other than it amuses me.

My hair was a little bit longer than 10 inches, so I thought I would attempt to cut it in a way that I could send it to Locks of Love and maybe they could use it. What follows is a pictorial of the head shaving event:

Here's a before picture. Hairy and scary.

 As you can see, it's pretty long. I had it trimmed, but not seriously cut in 2 years.

As directed on the Locks of Love website, I put the hair into pony tails. Since the lengths were all uneven, one big one wouldn't have worked, so I went this route.

No turning back now!


It's all gone!

Here's the resulting hair cluster. Sadly, I don't know if Locks of Love can use it. The end from my scalp came out pretty ragged. But it is long enough. I'll send it to them anyway. If they can't use it, at least I tried.

So, yes, I am going the whole way, razor and all. Figured I'd get my cheeks while I was at it...

And here it is. My shiny bald head. 

And here's the back. You can see that I need practice with the razor.


Once it was done, I could feel the difference in my neck, so I guess that's good. It's really kind of cold in here, though.

If you are reading this, please consider making a donation to Locks of Love. This is not a sponsorship or a paid advertisement. I just think the work they do is really great. They accept more than hair and need financial support as well. If you have a couple of bucks, please send them their way. Thanks.