Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving thoughts 2013

Here we are, Thanksgiving weekend. The year has been rushing by and now here we are, one of our traditional family holidays with the food and the parade and maybe some movies and video games and napping and over eating and just being together (and not liking every minute of it, but overall being thankful for being together).

It's been an adventurous year. It's like we've just been on this crazy rocket-sled of stress and chaos and doctors and school and struggling and broken things scrounging to pay bills and get groceries and get by until we can get to the other side and possibly have a life where we don't struggle so much.

I'm not complaining, not really. We don't really do without. We have many nice things. We have enough food, even if we sometimes have to stretch the leftovers a little too far. We all have enough clothes to wear, even if some have too many holes. We're doing ok.

It's a time to be thankful, not whine. I am generally a negative person. People say "just be positive" or "think positive and positive things will happen". I don't know how to do that. I really don't. Why? I don't know. It's just how I'm wired. And I wouldn't say I'm a 'glass half empty' kind of guy, I'm more of a "well, it is what it is" kind of guy and the world is just a negative kind of place.

But I am thankful. I'm thankful that in spite of our struggles that my kids don't share my negativity. I am thankful that the hardest part is mostly over and there are better financial times just ahead. I am thankful that even though the kids might have to wait for the 'nice' presents from mom and dad this year that we will be able to give them nice presents in January or February.

I am thankful that we were together this week. In spite of the frayed tempers and the moments of disrespect and lots of slop and mess and burned pie crust and so forth, we are enjoying our time together. We're watching the parade, talking about what we're going to do the rest of the day, and waiting for the turkey to get done.

I am thankful that in spite of my ongoing health issues, this week has been very good. And that in spite of it taking a downturn today, I've been able to participate in most of the family fun this week.

And finally, I am thankful that the kids go back to school on Monday. Because dang.